Anglia Car Auctions

Back
Lot
1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor
1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor
IMG_9589 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9591 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9592 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9593 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9594 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9595 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9597 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9600 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9601 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9602 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9603 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9604 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9605 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9606 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor IMG_9627 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor


Lot Number:
Estimate: £4,000 - 6,000
  • V5 Present
  • MoT Exempt
  • Chassis number: 10173
Founded by Australian aviation pioneer and bomber pilot Air Vice Marshall Donald Bennett, Fairthorpe built small sports cars from 1954 to 1973. In 1956, it launched the open two‑seater Electron, using a 1098cc overhead‑cam Coventry Climax engine. This was followed by the cheaper Electron Minor in 1957, which used the less potent engine, transmission and rear axle from the Standard Ten. With various upgrades over the years, the Electron Minor remained the mainstay of Fairthorpe production until 1973, with about 700 being built.

In 1990, this 1959 example was found as a wreck (with some racing modifications), and the owner who took it on had it restored in 1991 and again in 2016. After both rebuilds, it was exhibited at the Classic Motorshow in Birmingham.

The history folder includes the current V5 plus the original green logbook, a £3750 bill for the 2015 rebuild plus a number of invoices for more recent parts and work and an extensive collection of Fairthorpe Sports Car Club magazines (including one with PPM 675 on its cover). There's also a small Fairthorpe Electron Minor brochure and an album of photos, showing what we assume is the car's 1991 restoration.

The Fairthorpe is good order outside and in, with modern (and more comfortable seats) fitted as well as a radio/CD player. There's also a small collection of rally plaques and rosettes from shows and events previously attended by the Electron Minor.    

PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR VIDEO PRODUCED BY ACA OF THIS CAR.
Founded by Australian aviation pioneer and bomber pilot Air Vice Marshall Donald Bennett, Fairthorpe built small sports cars from 1954 to 1973. In 1956, it launched the open two-seater Electron, using a 1098cc overhead-cam Coventry Climax engine. This was followed by the cheaper Electron Minor in 1957, which used the less potent engine, transmission and rear axle from the Standard Ten. With various upgrades over the years, the Electron Minor remained the mainstay of Fairthorpe production until 1973, with about 700 being built. In 1990, this 1959 example was found as a wreck (with some racing modifications), and the owner who took it on had it restored in 1991 and again in 2016. After both rebuilds, it was exhibited at the Classic Motorshow in Birmingham. The history folder includes the current V5 plus the original green logbook, a £3750 bill for the 2015 rebuild plus a number of invoices for more recent parts and work and an extensive collection of Fairthorpe Sports Car Club magazines (including one with PPM 675 on its cover). There's also a small Fairthorpe Electron Minor brochure and an album of photos, showing what we assume is the car's 1991 restoration. The Fairthorpe is good order outside and in, with modern (and more comfortable seats) fitted as well as a radio/CD player. There's also a small collection of rally plaques and rosettes from shows and events previously attended by the Electron Minor. PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR VIDEO PRODUCED BY ACA OF THIS CAR.
  • V5 Present
  • Chassis number: 10173
Estimate: £4,000 - 6,000

Sign up to our auction emails
Choose which auction updates you would like by ticking the boxes below & enter your email.